13yearold boy accused of murdering Ana Kriegel denied bail

first_img13-year-old boy accused of murdering Ana Kriegel denied bail He has been remanded to appear again on 23 July. No Comments Friday 29 Jun 2018, 2:43 PM By Tom Tuite Share49 Tweet Email Short URL http://jrnl.ie/4099487 Jun 29th 2018, 2:43 PM center_img Image: Photo released by the Kriegel family Tweet thisShare on FacebookEmail this article A 13-YEAR-OLD boy accused of the murder of Kildare schoolgirl Ana Kriegel has been refused bail by Mr Justice Robert Eagar at the High Court.The boy, who cannot be named because he is a minor, has been charged with the murder of 14-year-old Anastasia Kriegel at Glenwood House, Laraghcon, Clonee Road, Lucan, Co. Dublin on 14 May, contrary to common law.Anastasia, known as Ana, who was adopted from Russia at the age of two, left her home in Leixlip, at about 5pm on 14 May and she did not return.Her parents were unable to contact her phone and alerted gardaí. Her body was found at a disused farmhouse three days later.After he was charged, the teen had been remanded in custody to the Oberstown detention centre on 25 May by the Dublin Children’s Court, which does not have power to adjudicate on the issue of bail in murder cases.However, he launched a bail application at the High Court sitting in Cloverhill which commenced before Mr Justice Eagar on Wednesday.Detective Inspector Mark O’Neill who is leading the investigation had objected to bail.Strict reporting restrictions were imposed by the judge who delivered his ruling this afternoon. He said the court was refusing to grant bail.The teenager was accompanied to the proceedings by his parents, his grandfather and barrister Niall Nolan and a solicitor.Dressed in a green jumper and black jeans, he sat silently with his family, at some points leaning his head on his mother’s shoulder during the almost hour-long proceedings.The media could report the outcome of the application, Mr Justice Eagar told counsel for the State Aideen Collard.The teenager, who will remain in custody, has faced three hearings already in the Children’s Court which last dealt with the case on Monday.At that hearing, Inspector O’Neill said: “As you would appreciate it is quite an extensive investigation and we are working very hard to make sure matters are expedited.”The boy is scheduled to appear again at the Children’s Court on 23 July next for directions from the Director Public Prosecutions to be conveyed.At his first hearing, on 25 May, Inspector O’Neill told the court: “In reply to that charge after caution, he had nothing to say.” Legal aid had been granted after the court was told the teen’s age and that he was a school child.There has been no indication yet as to how he intends to plead.Comments are closed for legal reasons Ana Kriegel 36,302 Views Ana Kriegel Image: Photo released by the Kriegel familylast_img